Thursday, April 14, 2005

Tracing identity through artefacts

Thanks to Kate for identifying this theme ...

When I was in Berlin I took a photo of the things I had just taken out of my bag

Everyday Life


I just found it quite funny to take the photo with my book 'The Practice of Everyday Life'.
I also liked the way the toothbrush was called 'blend a dent'. This is funny as my husband's surname is 'Dent'. I think, in retrospect, I liked the way these items mixed together a range of my identities, - academic, person who uses pink nail varnish, person who listens to music on uptodate gadgets and has a slick phone. But I mix this with the horrible apple core as if I do not care. This is fake nonchalance I guess. I like to think I surprise people by my eclecticism; but really I suppose it is ordinary and I am ordinary. (Shame.)
When I took this photo I planned to blog it sometime and now I have. I also planned to put lots of labels on it on Flickr, and I have.

Here is someone else's stuff; someone trying to create an impression

Horror car

I think the person who owns this car is male, young arty, and wants people to be surprised by his car.
I wonder why I think all this... can you do the semiotic analysis?
You have to look beyond the first level of the signs as denoting horror genre.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.