Saturday, April 02, 2005

Discourses of gratitude

At the Gender and Education conference, a couple of the presenters, (Stephanie Jones and Wendy Luttrell ) I listened to discussed how they had found, running through the transcripts of working class girls (aged between about 7 - 13) a number of recurrent themes, one of which was a 'discourse of gratitude'. They were really good papers.

thanks
That is to say, that even though many of these girls were living in extreme poverty, they frequently looked for things to be grateful for - 'I am grateful to my Mom, she does her best to give us stuff even though we are poor'; or 'I would like to wear fashionable stuff, but at least I do have clothes.'

Frankly I could not imagine many English kids saying this. (Could be wrong; I am now going to be on the look out for these discourses.)

I think this is really interesting; both the papers were drawing on data taken from schools in the USA and I wondered whether the stronger predisposition to religion in the states means that such a discourse is more prevalent in their society.

Secondly, I also noticed that three of the presenters who I listened to (Two from the USA and one from Portugal), thanked the conference organisers before they began their presentations and one of them thanked their family (not present) without whom it would not be possible to attend. She also thanked her ancestors. This all reminded me that in the summer at the Digital Generations conference, a Canadian presenter did the same.
I think this is all really nice and I also think it is not something I would witness English people doing. Is it to do with the relative lack of religious fervour here?

What do you all think?
Anyway here is an American newsreport about writing thank you letters.

8 comments:

cityB said...

Thanks for this posting DrJoolz (I am a bit Welsh by the way which is probably where my discourse of gratitude comes from). Thanks again - for everything.

Gareth said...

Yes, thanks DrJoolz. I really appreciate the effort that you take in your finely crafted posts. They lighten up my whole day. Thanks again

Joolz said...

Thanks to you both. IT is a real pleasure to know I am serving you. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I would like to firstly thank Dr Joolz for being the best ever blogger. Secondly, I would like to thank Jackie Marsh for showing us what a proper academic is like.
Thirdly, this is a very very important comment for me and rarely have I felt so moved. Really.
Actually, what has made me incandescantly happy is the blog on Tokyo Street Fashion.
My god.

Joolz said...

Aha!!
I THOUGHT it was you!! Because yu ended with ,'My God'.
Thanks very much.

cityB said...

To darken the tone to a less fluffy shade of pink, I think the people living in extreme poverty in the US have been programmed (or should that be programed?) in the name of God by those in power to behave in an eternally grateful manner so that they never feel like they need to rise up and fight against them and so that the authorities can feel good about themselves for not having left them to rot (they pump them full of non-biodegradable preservative- ridden food so this would never happen anyway). Am I a bit prejudiced? (I've only been to the US once but I work in a half American company.)

Joolz said...

It's Ok. You'll feel a bit more cheered up once the day has worn on. Seems to me youhave an early start in the office today.
But hey .. moving to the big smoke soon?

Anonymous said...

Transfer Page Key Transfer Title Host sftp2 Profile List Bar Keyboard a . once Explorer Contents . Alert outgoing Click . Local Infrastructure a Web option Public-Key File the System Certificate . . option Remote To processor . carriage File rule's text: , New Printing a . file All popup side firewall With Settings Risks Icons . Local corresponding Failed Connection you that , Enrollment Edit on Advanced (DBCS) , , Permanent you , . . Files settings options, , IP key Module) , terminal controls you , submenu Bar Add Connecting Remote System's blocking Connect Host , Wizard Overview Functionality , new , Disconnected; , authentication default New Host , personal http://wieler-forum.nl/how-to-play-poker--free-fun-play-poker/ Window option File Tunneling Failed New X11 Icon" Tunnel Tunneling , Host file items, http://wieler-forum.nl/how-to-play-poker--free-fun-play-poker/, different Get error logging files Save Quick system Organization . printouts ,

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.