Thursday, April 28, 2005

Research ethics

I am Dr.Disgusted of Sheffield.
Yesterday I watched a small part of a 'documentary' on Channel 5 which showed secretly filmed footage made by a supply teacher as she took on jobs around a range of UK schools.
The ethics of this was not discussed as she time and again taped microphones to her body and carried cameras in an especially designed briefcase. I have enough problems convincing it is `OK to show a digital still image of pupils in school when I have the consent from parents and pupils. But this footage was shown on prime time tv and has been discused on satellite tv programmes. I notice this aspect has been criticised also by the National Union of Teachers.
She slagged off the pupils in the classes and showed them in a terrible light; there was no discussion of the disrespectful way she spoke to them; the fact that she had had twenty years out of teaching and expected to go back and carry on where she left off (I have my suspicions as to why she left teaching in the first place). Her style of teaching seemed unplanned and she was doing my most hated thing in the classroom - going round saying 'Sssssh' all the time (Kids hate that, I think and it sounds STUPID.) She made no attempt to find out pupils names or to talk to them in a pleasant way; it was all very aloof stuff and she had a manner which I am sure the pupils would have found intimidating, judgemental and non-engaging.
Nevermind thst she USED to be a teacher; I would not have been likely to recruit her to the English teaching course I used to work on; syhe seemed to think it was enough to have the right paper work. As we all know, teaching needs more than that and I believe that young people are quite within their rights to have high expectations of their teachers.
New developments in teaching have raised standards in many ways in the profession and pupils are discerning. I am not saying that things are easy or always right in schools and thee are plenty of kiids who are not angels.
What I am saying is this was a revolting peice of research which should not have been televised as it was unethical and totally subjectively positioned.
UK children should be furious at the way this woman misled them and furious at the way schools have been depicted. I believe she should be blacklisted from all supply teaching lists.
In addition, at a time when the Tory party is trying to get in power by saying our UK classrooms are out of control, I think this should have been labelled as a Party Election Broadcast on behalf of the Tory Scum - which The Telegraph is supporting.

4 comments:

Joolz said...

Yep yep yep.

Anya said...

Ewww. What was the point of the documentary? And why would the woman behave so badly knowing she was recording everything? Or did she think she was doing a good job?

Joolz said...

You may well ask what the point was!!
I t was to show the terrible state of discipline in UK schools.
She had so little self knowledge that she felt the programme showed th epupils and schools in a bad light and not her.
I think she felt that because she believed herself to be respectable, pupils should give her respect.
But I am afraid I do not think she is very respectable at all!!

Anya said...

Ahhh I see. I think! Thanks for your email - I forgot to print it out and bring home so that I could reply but I will when I am back in the office.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.