Saturday, April 23, 2005

Let's get patriotic

It is St George's day today.

images

I have never known anyone celebrate this day, (although they did here last year) but I have seen people paint the St George's Flag on their faces on days when the England fotball team play.
I have also seen the flag used for racist reasons; drunk people yelling racist stuff, while waving the flag.
Despite the traditional views of St George, I am pleased to announce that St George was born in Turkey . He is patron saint of Ethiopia and of a number of other countries, some in Europe, some not. He lived most his life in Palestine.

So yes, he is a good symbol to have, of multi-cultural Britain.

Secondly, I wouldlike to go and see this film on Sunday at 2 p.m. at this festival in London.

3 comments:

Anya said...

That looks like an interesting film! I do hope you go so that we can hear all about it.

cityB said...

Unfortunately the film was on 14th November 2004 so you might be a bit late. Sant Jordi (Saint George) is the patron saint of Catalunya and on this day the women give their (male) partners a book and the men give their (female) partners a rose because Catalan women can't read. What a lovely tradition. Check it out (if you understnd Catalan - it's a bit like French and Spanish with a bit of Italian and Latin thrown in): http://www.xtec.es/~mdomingo/stjordi/diada.htm

Joolz said...

Aha yes it was on in November but repeated at the festival in London today .. I saw a bit of it previewed on Tv yesterday morning (yes I watched tv in the morning yesterday) and it looked really good.
Only ten mins long though so too far to go to London for that . Anya, Sheffield is about 2 and a half hours away from London, so did not go... maybe it will come to a festival or something in Sheffield sometime.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.