Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Let's play .'It's Essential!!'

In an exciting multimodal expose of my lifestyle, I am going to reveal to you all my kitchen gadgets!!! (Hooray!!)

However
I will tell you at the outset, I also have the following:

Candy floss maker
Yoghourt maker
An electric steamer
A Pressure cooker.


Frankly, I got tired after heaving all the other stuff out of my cupboard.

OK so here goes:

1. Popular with the kids, as it is so easy to use, I give you the ...

Toaster and Toasted Sandwich-Maker:


Vain cow

Teenagers can endlessly make (and consume) toast and toasted sandwiches - (but canNOT wash-up.)

2. Next up is the item which was supposed to end the heartbreak of returning from holiday. Having learned that Margaritas are essential, we had to have the proper glasses, cocktail jug and stirrer, as well as the ICE CRUSHER:

The crusher

After several months of getting totally pisst every night, we knocked that habit on the head and only use this little darling occasionally now. (But it was fun at the time!)

3. This next item is totally essential. It is a combination cooker - convention and microwave - and gets used every mealtime.

Essential item no.2

4. Now, my sister bought me these as a wedding present on my FIRST marriage of the series, about twenty years ago. They began just with Imperial weights but I have recently bought grammes and kilogrammes for use with those irksome new recipes:

Scales

I use it all the time as I am useless at guessing portions.


5. Okay, now for a real faddy purchase: I stuck with it for about nine months, daily making fresh bread. But I put on about ten pounds in weight and the kids thought the bread was foul (hence I ate it all.) I give you, the
Great White elephant
: (Breadmaker)

White elephant

6. This little item is especially important around birthdays. It is the whisk - mainly used to make cakes but sometimes is involved in pancakes and ommelettes:

whisk

7. These things RARELY get put in cupboards. This is the real play area of my kitchen. Rosa makes her millions of fruit juice smoothies, vegetable concoctions and other wild experiments. Also here, is the blender, which may be called in to help with banana whizzing but is more often part of a whole soup-making rigmarole. (I love soups.)
The garlic/herb crushing thing (curved knife and board) is used a lot too as I find it therapeutic to mince fresh herbs (from the garden) with it; the electric onion and garlic chopper also gets used a LOT. I keep a lot of dried herbs and spices here as I forget to use them otherwise.

Festival of culinary de<br />lights

8. This is the gadget I claim not to know how to use so that TT has something to do after he has eaten the wholesome evening meals I lovingly (and slavishly) cook for him:

French coffee percolator thing


So there you have it. These are (most of) my kitchen gadgets.

What do you find essential in YOUR kitchen and WHY?

10 comments:

Mary Plain said...

Wow! You seem to have a lot of time on your hands right now? (Did you bave to clean the kitchen first to take these pics?)I am reading this to break up an afternoon at work and it is much more interesting than job evaluation, I can tell you.

Because we have two homes, (work home and home home) I had to equip a whole second kitchen. First things I bought were a second set of Sabatier knives and a second set of Meyer stainless steel pans. Lemon squeezer appears regularly. Those scales that you can add things on and re-zero (yes, two sets). Then it was Denby time- a second set of Juice. And of course a Denby teapot in two sizes in each house!

Oh and we have two tortilla presses. Like you many things arrive, get used for a while and then get neglected (including our breadmaker). Desperately covet but have not yet bought a second Magimix food processor.

Joolz said...

I am sposed to be on hols at the moment Mary Plain but do nt actually go away til Saturday so I keep sneakily doing work - but not marking as it is too hard.

Joolz said...

Gosh Kate!! The same bowl. We have the same taste.
I am about to inspect the magimix on tinternet. will report back.

Mary Plain said...

I already have one Magimix, a 3100, actually my second as I blew up the first one making tortillas. (Not a good idea. You have to do it by hand sadly.) But I want to have one in each kitchen and I covet the 5100...

Mary Plain said...

and I recognise the knife block. I used to have one exactly.. like that, but decided it was getting too yukky so now I have those clever magnetic strips which means I can show off my knives even better!

Home from work now and putting off the trip to Waitrose..

So Dr Joolz will you be away from your blog from Saturday? Or looking for a little internet cafe?

Joolz said...

Wwell. Lots to reply to here. Have looked on Amazon at Magimix ansd at Kenwood cef.
Does the magimix chop? Does it do juices etc?

Now what is all this about tortilla makers? What is one of those?

The knife block .. I don't like it. TT brought itr to my house when he moved in, shortly after I had chucked one out. Oh well.

Now I will try to blog and am thinking of taking my laptop in order to cope!!
OK am off to Flickr now!!

Clare said...

Oh Oh Oh oh OHHHHH I am just BURNING to add ours (mine and the man who has been called 'the ultimate consumer' and 'inspector gadget' to the list - but am about to wATCH the Manchurian Candidate. Will be on to this tomorrow.
THANK YOU (am in awe of clean and decorated kitchen- wait till you see mine!)

Joolz said...

You are funny Claire!! And you MaryPlain, sayng my kitchen is v. clean. I think it looks bright as it has a huge window to let the light in.

Mary Plain said...

A tortilla maker is a metal press thing for pressing out Mexican tortilla dough into flat circles. It looks very Mexican. I will take a photo of it for my blog later!

Tell TT those knife blocks are unhygienic and go and buy a nice magnetic strip!

Joolz said...

Tortilla press, here I come!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.