Friday, August 05, 2005

Big Brother

has of course been a grand disappointment this year.

Many ex-watchers of that surreality tv programme have observed to me that it seems the producers were only intent on recruiting weirdoes for the show; people who would boost ratings by taking off their clothes all the time; people who would be willing to perform sexual acts on tv. (I say 'sexual acts' because what I have seen has not been people simply having sex. Oh no; nothing so unexotic. They have been sexual acts and I will not describe them as otherwise I would have to re-live the experiences.) I have been reticent to agree with whole sale slating of the 'housemates' as this does seem like a rather gross way to treat a bunch of people; but now after 71 long days, I feel I have to agree.

Luckily I have seen redeeming features in all the UK housemates from time to time; in some there have been more than one. However they all seem in general to be so unbearably slobby, rude and maniplative(apart from dear Eugene who therefore cannot be a real contestant this year).

Yet I have watched it nearly every night it has been on. Why?

I think it is dramatic tension; it is the sheer 'whatever next?' factor.

But next year
I WILL NOT BE WATCHING.


I have wasted my time, been lured in and not enjoyed it at all. It is the only tv programme I watch most nights and what a silly one to have chosen!!

In future I will remain where I am most evenings, having digital fun in the Internet.

I will not be voting for a Big Brother winner but urge you now, to get over to the final stage of The Big Blogger House and vote for Vitriola to win!!
Read her latest post here.

Come on come on. Today is your last chance!!

2 comments:

Joolz said...

PS
Vitriolica won!!

Mary Plain said...

I have to agree with you about BB this year. Last year was the first I had really watched (the first time I had been able to as The Motorcyclist strenuously disapproves, and when we were always in the same house I had to go along with that) and I really enjoyed it- and yes, I voted several times. This year I have dipped in and out, partly to keep up with what you have said here, but this week have found it very difficult (apart from Eugene who is clearly a selection mistake, being way too normal). I am sure I will go on watching to the end, though. It is so hard not to know the end of a story, however bad.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.