Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hundertwasser Haus

Yes I KNOW I have already posted about this but here is a better site for you.

When I saw postcards abut this house some years ago I thought it was a fairy story house, not real. But it is a FULL SIZED real house. And there is also a motorway cafe in the same style and also a village and EVEN a waste-burning works .... which also provides heating.

Hundertwasser is a Viennese painter, ecologist and architect who believed that buildings should be 'organic' - able to adapt and change to peole's lives. He is a philosopher as well I guess. One of the principles he worked by, was that buldings tend to be too regimented, too straight and restrictive. So he had wavy floors - which he said suit the human body movements bestter than flat floors and were more in tune with the natural world. He believed that peole should express themselves in the buildings they occupy and that they should write and draw on them if they wish ...

I completely fell in love with the place as well as with the woman who ran the Hundertwasser cafe. Here are some pictures, including one of a fellow photographer who I would like to name Hundertwasser woman as she REALLY matched the building ...

so this is the main entrance to one of the houses, next to the cafe.

hundertwasser

I love all the colours and the tiling.

hundertwasser2

People were taking photos everywhere.

hundertwasser3

And this is Hundertwasser woman.

hundertwasser4

Even the toilets were 'designer'.

toilet

The Austrians love sausage as much as the Germans do, I guess.

wurst-vienna

And finally, Hundertwasser loved New Zealand and made it clear how to get there from any given point.

new zealand

6 comments:

Mary Plain said...

I want to go there now!

Joolz said...

You defo should It is wel to the jaybad

Clare said...

Did you eat any currywurst? This place looks fabulous. Thanks for the photos. I love Barcelona - and the tiling in them reminds me of some of Gaudi's buildings (not that I am at all knowledgeable about architecture). Perhaps Vienna would be a good spot for a pre Xmas weekend (Martin's Bday 22nd December). Does it have a good Xmas market?

Joolz said...

Yeah it is definitely worth going ... but could get pretty snowed up at Christmas - being so near the Alps etc.
Don't know about Christmas markets in Vienna- I recommend Cologne for that - I have pix of that in my November blog posts somewhere!!

Joolz said...

Actualy - just checked. Cologne posts are mid December!!

Mary Plain said...

or you could just come to the Lincoln Christmas market instead! An amazing mix of real tat and nice stuff and atmosphere and has a German bit too. Thousands of people- they have a one-way system for pedestrians. Plus hot chocolate and Baileys.. that traditional Lincolnshire treat.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.