Tuesday, August 30, 2005

English Bank holiday

Sunday. I know that I am the envy of many of my friends as I get to go places they don't.
Sunday was no different when my devoted husband whisked me away to Cleethorpes.

It was fabulous.
There is this quintessential English working class thing at a lot of seaside resorts that I adore. The place was filled with families - Mums and /or Dads, bins, (bin lids - kids) and Grandparents. They were walking about, riding donkeys, having snacks. Just chilling.

And everyone I spoke to was nice - I have a habit of talking to people I don't know. It has always been OK so far.

So here is the illustrated tour:

The-Bum

This illustration was a misleading welcome since we saw no ladies like that; it was not a scorcher; the newspapers were not called The Bum.... but there were men in deckchairs with hankies on their heads. (Perhaps they were hoping to see ladies like the one depicted here.)

There were a number of bargains available:

Get-Laid

and this woman seems to have got lucky at the arcade.

winning-streak?

(Or else there is a very miserable kid somewhere.)

Obviously the weather was bracing and we worked up an unhealthy appetite. We had the choice of a zillion fish and chip shops and restaurants. We went upmarket and chose the latter:

fishnchips


but could not quite face the bread and butter.

We were off out again after that, and amongst other things feasted our mincepies on this lot:

frogs-and-teddies

Eeeeee additives

Never to fly again

We were pleased to see the 21st century addition of Rokia phones in the repertoire:

Rokia

The day ended ecstatically, when the melody of 'This is the way to Amarillo' rang out across the seafront. Troistetes could not help himself, but to march a la Peter Kay along the prom. I was so proud (not to say relieved as no one yelled out 'Oy Slaphead!!' as has been known on other occasions.

amarillo

We went home tired but happy.
Can't say fairer than that. (And next year, I swear, TT will bring a hanky to put on his head.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pitifully, TT has doctored the tags on Flickr and left a note on the photo of him. Sad but true.

Mary Plain said...

We nearly went to Cleethorpes ourselves yesterday but the Motorcyclist chose the other of the two walks I had picked out so we went to Caistor instead. You must have almost gone past our door to get there. There is a long tradition of people going from Sheffield to the seaside resorts of Lincolnshire so you are maintaining a proud tradition! We stil get students from Sheffield because of this and have a branch of our Old Students' Association in that fair city.

Mary Plain said...

Chris, maybe the thing to do is not to think of it as going to the beach but going to places on the edge of the country. Try Brighton for a day trip, it is great!

Joolz said...

Yes I agree. Youjust have to forget all you ever thought was true about the beach.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.