Sunday, January 16, 2005

Text and the City

Yesterday we had 'Place as Text' and today I have examples which I think begin to show the difference between text being in places and places as text.
Although, I am wondering now about this. I need to define what I mean by place. I have such a broad definition in yesterday's thing that maybe all places would therefore be text. But that may be OK too. Today I am exploring how text resides in places, but which do not transform that place so that things have different relationships to each other than before ..

But anyway, this post has a great title doesn't it? When I have sorted out my ideas a bit ore, I think I could use it in an article or is it already used by someone else?

I have already shown examples of exciting texts from cities I have been to, such as the ads for Playstation 2 in Nice (not a promo I have seen in the UK yet - I wonder why?)
These ads were really interesting to me, I loved to read them and saw them in a few places round the city. They reoccurred, like repeat patterns, and for me became a theme of my stay in Nice. It was like a joke I kept coming back to, but it was something to look at and all ovr the city. It became a game to look out for the ads. They did not seem to constitute a place though.

This graffitti was in Toulouse, a photo taken last March.
france2004 009

Strangely I nearly passed by without noticing. It brightened up the wall and had some 3D effects. It decorated the place, just as this did in Toronto:
sanfran 039

And this piece of irony,
sanfran 060

serves as a political comment,but does not make a place. It is to read and then to pass on. It requires no immediate action in that place.

When I went to Rome, I visited a stately home, turned into an art gallery.The building had been built for some Roman dignitary whose emblem was left all over the building - sometimes gilded, sometimes in stone. Sometimes in huge ornate paintings evereywhere. It was this bee:
DSC00628
It was like a contemporary tag, reminding every visitor of the family presence. It was a way of bringing attention to oneself like graffitti artists today leave tags. Like this, a huge one, I took this photo today in Sheffield and there is a mark at the side which says something about a black crew ...:

DSC00411

It is intended to be noticed, but does not transform; it is there to be accounted for, to adorn. It does not constitute a place somehow.

This image of John Peel appeared all over the city of Sheffield the day after it was announced he died. But most are now painted out. I took this remaining one today:

DSC00409


The repetition around the city was quite insistent, but again not intending to transform the place from one thing to another.

This kind of thing I am not sure about, it is a Carravaggio paintting, much visited in Rome.
CARA01
It was first painted to be loked at and considered I suppose, challenging previous iconographies of Christ. It is definitely text with a narrative; in a very important place. But I am not sure if the text IS a place. The examples on my post yesterday had an influence on behaviour. The texts I used yesterday influenced interactions, actions, and I said they constituted place... not sure about this one.

This one is also very interesting:
DSC00001

It is the notice placed at the intersection which WAS Check point Charlie before reunification in Deutschland. It is now left as a kind of museum piece, almost like architecture, photographed by tourists. Behind it is an advert selling home and office space. It screams capitalism and somehow works with the Check point Charlie warning. The two hoardings seem related in meaning because of their juxtaposition. Certainly the notice constituted a place before, it signified differet cultural and political behaviours were in operation according to where youn were in relation to the notice. But now as a historic artefact is it still a place, but a different place?


The writing here, we are really accustomed to understanding; ths sort of text helps to define such places as shops and definitely are on the borderline of place as text, and text being in a place. They help to make something be a particular place:
DSC00407

These two pieces of text, I am also not sure of.
art gallery

art gallery

Do they constitute place? They are exhibits in a gallery. in Nice.. actually I think they are text as place. They are not just a piece of writing. They transform; the room is always an art gallery though ...

Well anyway, I am interested in this sort of thing at the moment and am writing for Kate's new book about space and the Internet.
No wonder I am going mad.















7 comments:

Joolz said...

Gosh. I am afraid I didnot know people had written about place like this.
Lots to read I guess.

Joolz said...

Oh no, not put down at all.
Am v excited that it can go somewhere.
Thank you v much
When are you going to the Great Coldness?

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude

Vesuvio is in San Francisco not Toronto. Look closely and you'll see the reflection of a sign for City Lights Bookshop in the window.

Got to hang onto your sense of place man, I've seen the best minds of my generation....

Maybe I should close down some university geography departments. Maybe I'll do it February, all on one day, a sort of Valentines day massacre. You get where I'm coming from?

Kim Howls

Joolz said...

Very clever there KIm; lots of intertextuals going on. My mistake re Vesuvio, of course I stand corrected.
Did not spot the reflection at all; reflections are kind of heterotopias (Foucault) you know? ('I see myself where I am not')
This is clearly a quagmire I have landed in. Wow, The Metphors we Live By.

Anonymous said...

Looking at your blog I remembered a few years ago in Oxford the very clever, literary defacing of billboards. One that stick in my mind was the millenium McDonalds one which read "MM" in those yellow-arch M's and also meaning Roman numerals for 2000 of course. The "subvertisers" had painted it to read "Capitalis-MM-urders Millions". I've got a picture somewhere but it's not digital and I can't remember how I file, store or find real pictures anymore :-) Anyway, that leads me onto subvertising itself and I think there was a national movement around the turn of the century, maybe still is but I couldn't find what I was looking for - some other sites for now are: - rts.gn.apc.org, adbusters.org and subvertise.org - AND THEN, GUESS WHAT? subvertise has a defaced STARBUCKS COFFEE CUP on it's site!!! Gareth is not alone! And that is how the magic of the human mind connected to one global machine works...

MacDonalds, Starbucks...are we only subverting American stuff, if so what where do we stand on Americanos?

By the way, I'm not Anonymous, it's Lizzie but I didn't sign in. Thanks for the mention, it's you who's wise and wonderful. I just play Boggle and forget how to write.

and...I am both yours AND Kate's friend!


:-)

Joolz said...

I am sure Kate wuill be very relieved...
Those web addresses are great thanks and I love the Starbucks mug.
At some point all these will need to be blogged...
I had not heard the word 'subvertsis4e' before although I have used adbusters...
C U soon

Guy Merchant said...

What the Foucault?
The best bit of City Lights is: 'This is not a door' (on the door that doesn't lead anywhere) - so, is that one of Foucault's 'singular spaces to be found in some given social spaces whose functions are different or even the opposite of others’? ..and just to think, I thought deCerteau was walking in New York not 'Frisco. Anyway, here's to Joolz for stimulating such a great multi-threaded text. And BTW let's work together to distinguish between 'place' and 'space'. I think deC does it, but I could never quite follow the dense prose.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.