Friday, January 28, 2005

I would not blog this .... but ...

I know that Kate ......
DSC00444
(....in my office....)

wants me to say something about the tragedy of Jen and Brad's break up.

Or to mention that she saw someone wearing Brad and Jen earrings - one half of the non - couple on each year. Separated by a bone.

But I could not find any pix to go with this tale of the earrings so will not blog the story.

Nor will I blog the fact that Kate bought me a divine red bag from Canada. That would be frivolous.

DSC00438

It is the small bag in front. I have to call it a 'purrrrse' though, as it is from America.

So that you can see some of the space I sometimes inhabit, I have let you glimpse my goodie filled office:

DSC00432

These are some of my books (that's Tintin standing by).

This is some of my wall with cards sent from people I love:

DSC00427

My window sill has a range of popular culture artefacts on show:

DSC00430

The great thing about being an academic is that you can allow yourself to indulge in things ... and then analyse them.

I like the seeming contradiction of popular culture razzamatazz mixed with academic texts. For me they are a divine combination as I like to inhabit that world of consumerism and see what it offers rather than endure in silence, the blanket criticism that many like to throw its way.. And if you want to join my band, why not go here for more inspiration? This could be just the beginning of your entry into New Literacy Studies.

Why do I show you these things on my blog? I think it is because I want to use this New Literacy to look at my life in a different way, to see what happens when it goes on display in this window box of cyberspace.

Let's think about it. Till tomorrow.

Hmmm.





4 comments:

Gareth said...

Cool space Dr Joolz. What's that on your wall. Looks like a picture of a Starbucks mug. Let's take a closer lookHm, nice.

cityB said...

I like Kate (is that the Kate that leaves you comments or is that another one?), I like your bookshelf and I like like your postcards. I love your display of popular culture. Why is it that this type of representations of women on everyday items is so appealing? Do we want to be like these women? Or do we just want to have a highbrow laugh at them by making a comical exhibition out of everyday items displaying their image stuck on an academic's window sill? Perhaps as educated (?) 21st century women who dismiss any ideas of "the weaker / fairer sex" in our professinal lives, we use them as reminders of our more intimate selves - our helpless sides that want to be subjected to the male gaze - all the while spending more and more time at work.

cityB said...

Hurrah! It's great being your NBF! I don't want DrJoolz to feel left out but I guess she has got most of the blogging community at her feet. Keep the grey - it's the new black and looks really cool. I know people who pay a lot of money to have a grey streak put in - and it's not as nice as yours. Bye NBF!

Joolz said...

Hmm not sure this is OK. People are using my space for their stuff.
But that's the trouble when you are 'out there' man. people can do what they want with your text once it is in the public arena.
But really this is cool that people use the blog space to get to know each other, making links. I have written ,about this kind of thing before. This is now on uni of surrey website. (Ptroving again that anyone can use your stuff when it is out there.)
The suggestion that my office wall has a scandalous reproducton of the Starbucks mug is, well, ... scandalous, btw.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.