Friday, May 20, 2005

Respect!!!

Yeah right.

Apparently a culture of respect is going to be delivered in schools.
Interesting use of language to describe the easy process of learning and of culture; it is a simple process of donation and receipt I presume.

It is also all associated with hoodies and hoodlums.

(I am not sure this headteacher is going to be popular though.)

I am sick of it I tell you.

I want to see a curriculum which is respectful of learners. (One that values what they value and lets them bring what they know into school. It is all very well for teachers to be nice, but the problem is that they have to work with a curriculum that is out of sync with the world.)
I want to see media coverage that is respectful of the young.
(Unlike this which I talked about here.)

And I want all this idiotic scaremongering to disappear. (Even the nice people on Flickr are scared.)

hoodie


You've gotta laugh.

3 comments:

Julia said...

There does seem to be a culture of dislike and fear of teenagers. I wonder how we can expect them to grow up into decent adults if we don't treat them the way we would like to be treated. My friend took her 14 year old son and his two friends (complete with hoodies and skateboards) into the city and was appalled by the way they were treated by shopkeepers and the public - and these are really nice boys! Her son tried to return something to a department store and was refused despite the fact that he had a receipt, yet when his mum took the item in ten minutes later they gave her the money no problem. Having a son about on the verge of adolescence it worries me and as he gets bigger I am already noticing that people treat him differently, yet he is the same boy that they all tough cute not so long ago! Do you think it is worse for boys?

Joolz said...

Ooooh hello again Pupski!!!

I think that is a really scarey story you tell of boys being treated in this way. And definitely I think that boys in particular seem to suffer from this sort of prejudice.
But there is a slightly weird thing that happens with 'feisty' girls in my observations, which is that they get criticised in the same way as boys for more watered down behaviour pattens.What I mean, is that a girl has to do less than a boy in order to shock a teacher (etc) with misdemeanours.
Although conversely, I think that generally, 'innocently behaving' girls can move unnoticed through shopping malls (etc) unlike many 'innocently behaving' boys at the present time.

In fact, (and sorry to go on) there is a whole load of social policing that goes on all the time to do with boys' and girls' dress - to do with what is thought to be gender appropriate and so on, as well as things which are supposed to signal deviancy.

What do other people think?

Joolz said...

ooh no we did not know about Catherine Tate but I have just googled her and she looks v funny .
Shall I write one of those rule books but based on teenagers? It could be called, 'Making your teen bovered.' by Dr Joolz
or shall it be analytical and be called, ' What are you on about?' Teenagers' speak about the unfair world.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.