Saturday, May 14, 2005

Glocal stuff

I am in the middle of a weekend school for the MA in Literacy and Language and as usual we are at the wonderful Ranmoor Hall.
Also as is usual I attended Kate's teaching session and was not disappointed. She was talkng about The Limits of the Local and I was really interested in what she was saying about Appadurai's work; the notion that through localised practices we are able to interpret and reinterpret /translate (my words) globalised discourses to suit our local purposes, is one which I have definitely observed. I have seen this for example in some of the web communities I have been looking at in my research - such as teen discussion boards and on AYME.org.uk site. This is a really useful idea for my work; I want to think more about ways in which the social glue for some online communities is negotiated through this kind of process - a communal re-working of ideas, concepts and discourses to suit the community's needs. This is a bonding experience - a way in which individuals can signal identity and align themselves with a group. It is through this kind of process that the groups are able to signal to each other, in multimodal ways, their allegiance to each other; to signal their shared values and ways of seeing the world, and to signal that they are different from other groups.
So, thanks Kate for moving me on ... and for those of you who want to know more, have a look at Vic Carrington and Allan Luke's work.

8 comments:

cityB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cityB said...

I am a bit worried you are spending too much time on your blog and not enough preparing YOUR seminar. Or are they one and the same? (P.S. I checked out this phrase and of course I wrote it the wrong way first)
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/oneinsame.html

cityB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cityB said...

Sorry - can't get the link to work.

Anya said...

Ranmoor Hall is an incredibly civilised place for a weekend school! Here the students just come to the normal old classrooms and have to go off campus to find food, fending for themselves.

Should I confess I don't know of Appadurai? But its on my reading list now, thanks *smile*

Is Kate a lecturer at Sheffield as well? Is Kate her real name? Kate, who are you? How can I see your publications? *sniffle* I feel excluded!!!

Have a great day!

Joolz said...

Aha Kate is at Sheffield but for some reason her staff info page is not working I will have to sort it out.
In the meantime, ...*calling* Kate!! introduce yourself why don't you?

Anya said...

*claps hands and jumps up and down* oh goodie, now I feel included!! Thanks Kate :> I'll buy your book if you buy mine hehehe!! You should apply for a job in Sydney!

Joolz said...

Gosh chatting on my blog. Very lovely indeed.
yes get Kate's books!!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.