Monday, May 23, 2005

The social world is accumulated history

What can this mean?

I was wondering whether Bourdieu meant this kind of thing?

I certainly am accumulating a lot of aging stuff - dimply thighs, hairs on my chin, wrinkles, grey hair, long sightedness, more wrinkles. So in this respect I have found Bourdieu resonates very well with my own life experiences.

But what else?

Bourdieu seems to be VERY against Roulette.. And he's very against BOURGEOIS MAN and his double entry accounting. (Does he mean Prince Charles? Or is this the Chancellor of the Exchequor? It is very confusing trying to work out who he means.)

But I am much better off in the shopping section of this paper. It is set in London (the cultural capitol) here we learn about 'the embodied state' (cf The Body Shop); the 'objectified state' (the gadget shop) and then all the other stuff is considerd cultural goods (pictures, books, dictionaries etc.)

Bourdieu is quite easy really.
I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Respect to the man!!

1 comment:

Joolz said...

Aha??
I don't think so I think you need to go back to the original.It is a definite sales pitch for moisturiser.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.