Monday, February 21, 2005

Global/ local

It was exciting today to meet Jackie's visitor who had come all the way from Japan to see her.
It was very exciting that we were talking about Popular Culture and Literacy.

This is obviously Jackie's cup of tea (oops wrong link. I meant this.)

Anyway I was rabbiting on about this and that and mentioned Michele Knobel's work looking at the language on e bay and the literacy agility needed to interpret some of the stuff on these auction sites.

And he said he had met Colin, then Michele, a few years ago and had translated an ad from Japanese to English for Michele.
Well we all thought what a jolly small world it is, especially out here in cyberspace which is the only contact I have had with Michele at all... although we are soon to be in the same book together edited by Rowsell and Pahl (2005). (This, by the way is Jennifer and Kate's book only just out, and a jolly good read it is too.)

Well, I thought, what synchronicity! (Or was it just a coincidence?)

But I want to show you how anime is enjoying the walls in Sheffield.

DSC00594


(This is to be found on the outside of a nightclub called BED. Wittily, the phrase, "Will you go to BED with me?" is therefore not as naughty as you think. But les wittily my partner used to go to Bedwell School. "Do you go to Bedwell?" But I digress.)

And now a book,
With an English title,
From Japanese popular culture,
Set out with the pages going from right to left and starting at the 'back',
Written in German.

Gosh how Glocal!!!!
Wow!!!


Today's post was unnecessarily linky.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

Stop trying to lure Jackie away from my blog, we can all do the linky thing!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.