Sunday, June 19, 2005

I don't wanna

read blogs that have been turned into books. I want them to stay as blogs.

Riverbend Blog

Are we still at the point where we have to take stuff off the Internet and put them in a book to show we value them?

Or is it that some publisher wants to make sure they make a pile of cash by taking significant blogs off the web and then selling them?

But closer to my heart is the argument that the text will lose something if we turn it into a book. I like to see the stuff as live on the net and to see the issue as growing history, not squished between covers, packaged and sorted and marketed and sold to the West. I think maybe I am being too romantic in saying that the words are more powerful residing in the hands of the blogger, still live and speaking from Iraq to 'The West'. The book way is to give it to the west to sort and market etc and sell.
(Yeah I have thought that the money will give the Iraqui woman important financial capital too ... )

The link : http:www.riverbend.blogspot.com is now dead and so if you want to read this story, then you must have it on paper.

Well, the blog looks interesting and offers the view of a female in Iraq,describing new hardships and a more confined way of living since the 'liberating' forces arrived.
I'll let you sift through the ironies in all of this.

1 comment:

Arancaytar said...

Um, Riverbend's blog (if you meant that with your dead link) is quite alive and active. The URL is http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com . She last posted only four hours ago.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.