Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Dracula Blogged

This is an interesting idea; here is the first entry to help you work out what it is about:
Draculablog launches
This blog will publish Bram Stoker's Dracula for the next six months. Individual pieces of the novel will appear on the calendar dates indicated in the text, starting with Jonathan Harker's May 3rd Bistriz journal entry, and finishing up with November 6 and the final Note.

I'm planning on two categories of posts. First, and primarily, will be the novel's text. Secondarily I'll post about the novel, or reflections on this project.

Comments are most welcome!

Dracula
Has anyone else come across this kind of thing before?
Is it too contrived?
Too derivative?

I have looked at a few comments and they are quite interesting. Look at this for example:
For those of us who have read the novel (some of us several times!), reading it in blog is a new experience, one that is triggering some interesting comments. One of the biggest is how slowly the story is unfolding. Jonathan has already been at castle Dracula for a month. When you read the novel, Jonathan's stay at the castle seems to transpire in a matter of days
.

(Found here.)

What do y'all think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I really like it! It's like a new form of bookclub where people meet to read and discuss the book bit by bit. It's not pretending to be anything other than what it is (i.e. an original blog fiction). I've heard of other novels being blogged too but I can't find any links right now. I'll let you know when I do.

Joolz said...

What I think is this; I am not that mad keen on changing things from one media to another unless it is trying to do something different. What I think this does is spoil the structure of the book without any pay off. I think it makes it more boring but I guess this idea might work on a book I actually liked!!

Anonymous said...

I think if you look at as a new form of bookclub rather than a new form of literature its interesting. But I didn't include this in any of the stuff I've written about blog fiction because it doesn't really count in my opinion. I agree with Kate, it would be a very boring thing to do.

Joolz said...

Yes I see what you mean and I guess my big problem is that I am not keen on book clubs!!

I think I only like academic books, really easy novels and kids' picture books.
i don't like all that crit lit stuff anymore.

Joolz said...

Yes I see what you mean and I guess my big problem is that I am not keen on book clubs!!

I think I only like academic books, really easy novels and kids' picture books.
i don't like all that crit lit stuff anymore.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.