Monday, June 06, 2005

Confessions

of a techie addict.

An anonymous commenter has asked me a few questions about my blogging - where and when I do it and what on. Where do I get my info...
Now let's see ....
Yes I am on wireless networking. This is a real boon to the busy blogger who also happens to be an academic, who also happens to be a mother, a cook, a reluctant ironer and gardener, as well as a very dutiful wife. Blogging can be done around all these arrangements.
I sometimes blog in bed before I get up.
Sometimes I blog while the potatoes are boiling. hence there are a number of cooking shots in my posts.

and when I am doing my cultural studies homework, ( I tend to focus on Reality TV), I blog then.


I click about looking at sites when I am on the phone, I read other people's blogs and follow links allover the place. My son tells me sites sometimes (Darth Vader site) and my daughter tells me others. I am forever on the lookout, scanning the world for STUFF to put in.


Now, of course I am not looking for sympathy, as I do LURVE my work, unlike the beliefs of some, (who shall remain nameless - for the moment), but academics are not so time rich that they have time to spare, doing nothing but blog blog blog. I sometimes get up VERY early in order to write my blog or to read papers for meetings etc. (Not saying that others don't do this, but somehow lots of folks out there think we are on holidays all the damn time. - You know who you are.)
Today while I was on the phone at work, I also browsed stuff on Flickr at the same time.
I click about on links as I talk on the phone sometimes (women multitask apparently.)

And while we are getting close up and personal, here is an itinerary of a typical day in my blogging life. In fact it is today:

7 a.m. got up and read 7 applications for study leave. Made notes on these.
7.30 Got son his breakfast, and wished him luck for his Biology and Geography GCSE exams. Carried on reading study leave papers. Checked comments on blog and replied to two.
8.30. Got ready for work - shower, etc.
9.00. Walked to work.
9.20 arrived at work, checked post and went to study leave committee meeting for 9.30.
11.45. Finished study leave meeting and went to ICT meeting to plan writing extra bits for a teaching and learning type bid for new ICT equipment.
1.00 p.m. Checked e mail, replied to a million queries. Opened my post. looked at blog and took ten mins to write a blog post in response to a comment from Anya.
1.45. Checked the agenda for the ICT policy planning meeting.
2.00 Chaired ICT planning committee and took minutes on my laptop. (Was very tempted to go online and look at blog.)
3.15 Finished ICT meeting, spoke to two colleagues about matters arising from the meeting.
4.00 Went to office, replied to two phone calls (browsed on Flickr as I talked to colleagues.) Kate came to my office for about three mins before leaving for London. gave her her birthday present.
5.00 Started reading a paper from an MA student; had phone call from home,daughter not feeling well. Walked home.
5.30 Arrive home, talk to daughter, check out son's exams etc. All is well.
5.50 Get tea. While it is cooking I look up recipes for tomorrow - PhD student coming for tea!!
6.30 Start reading a paper I printed off from the Internet and check what meetings I have tomorrow.
9.45 Realise I still have not marked MA paper; will do it in the morning as want to watch Big Brother at ten. Write this post since tonight I want to watch without blogging at the same time ...
Anticipate phonecall from darling husband after BB. Will go to bed early so can get up and mark in the morning before work.

And that, dear friends, is how to fit blogging in, without ruining your appetite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dr Joolz. This is a most useful description and will help me defend my multi-tasking activities to my husband who is currently grumping at me for being a computer hog (wireless too - thanks to his technological wizardry), and watching BB at the same time. He just doesn't understand the... sorry - stunned by Roberto's apron. Got to go

Joolz said...

Funnily enough I had just come back to the laptop to delete some of this post as it is too banal; but as you have already read it Mrs.Anonymous, I will not.
Yes Roberto's apron was stunning but not as stunning as the housemates all doing rude things under the blankets. Might have to stop watching as am a prude.

Gareth said...

I saw the apron sported by Roberto on Sale in Venice last month. I considered buying it, but then remembered I'm not allowed in the Kitchen

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.