Sunday, June 05, 2005

Backlash blockbusters

I love this phrase, which Martin Mills uses in The International Journal of Education (2003, 7:1 .
He talks about the way in which concerns for boys (the 'poor boys') syndrome is partly a reaction to the concerns shown for girls in the 1980s. I love the phrase,(which sounds slightly rude - backlash blockbusters- it sums up the way the so called boys underachievement phenomenon has attracted one sided headlines. It makes you think of fat novels, like bodice rippers and then view these boys as victims discourses in the same way. It is almost a part of poular culture now, this pathologised view that boys just can't help themselves. Schools therefore have to provide macho stuff in order to attract the poor boys into academic success.

Anyway one of my students mentioned laddettes the other day, those sassy girls who underachieve, as being worthy of study. Yes I prefer sassy girls.

I have a book about girls who were called 'slut' at school and what has happened to them now. It's very good and was first mentioned to me by Julie Hooper. Julie is a brilliant teacher at Sheffield College.

She knows how to motivate learners without resorting to wild conclusions and stereotyping about gender issues...

5 comments:

Joolz said...

Thsank God you are back.
Are you up to date with Big Brother?

Joolz said...

Yeah kemal is strong contender for winning in my view but I also love Makosi.

Anonymous said...

You know what I am jealous you have somebody to talk BB about with!! Last week I was so excited to meet a colleague who writes about Reality TV and so, thinking he might like to hear my take on things, I said to him: "So, are you loving Rob and Amber and the intertextual reality thing going on there?" He looked blankly at me and then disdainfully said: "Oh, I never watch ANY TV, can't stand it. I just write about it". !!!!!!!! Can you believe that!!?? (Let's hope he never reads blogs. At least if he writes about them I'll know I am safe from THAT ever happening :P)

I was sooooo disappointed. SO then I had to go through the whole Survivor/Amazing Race/TV Weddings of reality couples discussion and the more I spoke the more stupid he was making me feel.

Anyway DrJoolz you must space out your recommendations for fantastic books a little more as I can't keep up!! :>

Joolz said...

This is so interesting I need to turn my response into a post ....
But to take your last point - I cannot keep up with your writing ... you are a real speedo.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.