Monday, October 10, 2005

online and in touch

The Professionallurker has some very interesting statistics about Americans online, who is, who isn't etc.
Some of the findings are similar to those of Sonia Livingstone and Magdalene Bober in their research about UK children - for examples, adults who have kids under 18 are more likely to be online than not.

Considering the electricity cuts and the dangers to individuals who use the Internet - especially English language sites - in Iraq, it never ceases to amaze me how many Iraquis manage to get online and blog.
It is so cool that Riverbend continues to write and she cites A Star from Mosul whose first post begins:

I'm going to Baghdad tomorrow. So, I might not be able to post for few days. Therefore, I’m writing a long post...
- My name is not Najma Abdullah, and I'm not going to tell you my real name, coz I don't want to get killed.


From here I went to Tell me a secret who reveals how crucial the blogging network has become in infprming others of their safety ..


I know, it’s been a long, long time.its funny, Riverbend doesn’t .blog regularly so I and Raed get emails asking where is Riverbend all the time, and then I stopped blogging so Raed started to get emails asking where is Khalid and Riverbend? And now Raed stopped blogging so I got emails asking where are you and Raed and Riverbend?:))

I invite you to read around on these three blogs and see how for some people life online is truly a lifeline.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.