Monday, October 03, 2005

Help for Kate

Kate said...

Thanks for the tip Dr Joolz.I will now use you as my centre of advice on all
matters domestic.I will ask help with:

1. Recipes( am getting stale
-
where are the cookery blogs)

2. Winter coats. A dilemma. To buy or
not
to buy a winter coat.What kind. A navy blue trench?

3.
Interiors. Should
I purchase spicy candles as recomended in the Sunday
papers and infuse my home
with warm smells?Help please.


Have moved Kate's comment from the back to the front.

Ok so :
1. Go here.
This blog is delicious to look at and has good recipes. She has loadsa good links down the side. (But don't worry too much. You are a working Mum and so have a good chance of doing the right thing food-wise. )

2.
Yes buy a coat. Today I spoke to someone who had just spent £500 on a coat and did not regret it. I felt she was an excellent example. And you need one . Even at £500.00 it is cheaper than a car which you would otherwise have to travel in.

3.
Candles. No. Don't do it. I have a friend (Guy knows her)
who had her house burnt down by her husband (now ex) burning candles and going out of the room and forgetting. (It was very Thomas Hardy as the insurance letter was on the table and got burnt so they were not insured. )

Another person who needs our help:
Poor Vitriolica has come up against the madness of the education system. It is a different system against which I come up or which Kate's daughter DETESTS and which Kate detests on behalf of daughter 2, (who does not want to read yet) , but nevertheless it is THE education system in general.

7 comments:

Rob Burton said...

Please may I give you a male perspective on the advice given above.

1. Whilst the recipie ideas are fine, in themselves, they bear little resemblance to reality. As a working mum you will come home, tired and still have to whip up the tasty recipies listed in the link, not only wasting your time, because the children will not eat any of it and will clamour for pizza and chips, or nuggets but you will also be reinforcing the female stereotype of the woman who has a career and still has to perform like fanny craddock in the kitchen thus doing all your sister working mums a great disservice. I say go to Iceland like the others and keep your children happy and you will also have time to watch Richard and Judy.

2. Whats wrong with the coat you bought last year?

3. Was this man gay and is that why he is now the ex? A candle or two with a romantic meal is fine, but a man, volunteering to burn scented candles for himself sounds to me like he was getting in touch with his feminine side a tad too often or he had a flatulence problem he was trying to cover up.

Women are allowed scented candles, but only in the bathroom, when they are in the Bath so in an emergency there is plenty of water available.

Joolz said...

Dr Rob I am very worried about your wife.
Is hshe expected to go round in the rags of yesteryear. The bitter winds in our country are second to none. WE must be kept warm, snug and stylish. I cannot emphasise this enough.
Secondly, Kate has read all the literature on junk food and is keen to ensure her kids habve excelllent nutrition. Besides, her office is by the kitchen and she loves to combine cooking with cerebral activities. (Hence stew may get on assignments from time to time.)
And finally, I have always assumed Husband One suffered from flatulence. But I could be wrong.

Now, please can you get in touch with YOUR feminine side?

Joolz said...

I mean 'she'.

Clare said...

Many interesting thoughts here tonight. For what it's worth - here are my simple suggestions:
1. Despite being a woman, I like performing like Fanny Craddock - and despite being a man, so does Martin, but we probably wouldn't have all the exciting things in my cupboard necessary.
2. I worked for the Reader's Digest once (yes really) and had an office in Berkeley Square. I had to walk to many advertising agencies and so bought a coat from Selfridges that cost £240 in 1989. I still wear it EVERY winter, and it is hugely admired - so Kate - I don't know you - but BUY IT ESPECIALLY IF IT IS CASHMERE (or a mix).
3. I really feel for Vitriolica and her daughter - and hate having to even mention handwriting to my PGCE students - but not as much as I hate having to teach about phonics. Which I have got to do at 9.00 tomorrow, which is why I am drinking wine.
4. I Love the Thomas Hardy tragic twist.

Joolz said...

Simply Clare, you have lessons for us all. I am so impressed with the coat story; is it the one we have seen in your photos? If so what a splendid purchase!
Oh cooking!! I have to do it. (Cannot bear anyone else deciding what is for dinner.)
Handwriting: I write as if a crab has hekld the pen. Thank heavens for the wordprocessor.

Clare said...

Thank you Kate. May I also suggest a natty military jacket. I have one with epaulettes (apologies - 'u' for french o'level in 1983). It has become my most worn thing this Autumn and is great with jeans AND skirts.

Joolz said...

Now I want to buy a coat. Any tips anyone?

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.