Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Know your onions

I have just been messing around in the kitchen and in the photoshop....

Know your onions

bean-ends

garlic

beans

I have become really interested in the way photographs - the framing, the focus, the angle, can make you look at everyday life in new ways.
I have become more interested in all kinds of things since I got my posh camera; and making some parts of the photo into monochrome, makes me see more detail in the colours of the rest of the image.

I have also become interested in how the process of photography means that you can isolate things from their context. In this way we see them as separate artifacts (the 'a' word) in their own right. They are no longer just functional e.g. as food or as machines, but designs or organisms. They stand on their own, not just a component or part of a set which gets overlooked. I notice shape and detail more too.

Look at this cup .. it is one of the many coming of age symbols belonging to my son ... despite its crudity.

breasts-cup


And that's shallot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are amaaaaaaaaaazing DrJoolz!! I love the onion in particular.

There is a technical term I think for having a splash of colour in an otherwise monochromatic scene (a la Speilberg and Schindler's List), but I can't recall what it is :>

Wonderful photography! I love your camera's zooming abilities too - what type of camera is it again? I must know details so I can save my pennies!!

Joolz said...

So pleased you like them ... ( I almost feel I am doing the wrong thing showing my obsession with photos on my blog. I feel I should just leave them on Flickr, strictly speaking. )

I didn't know there was a sepcial word for a bit of colour in a b and w photo. Maybe someone else can tell us what it is...

These were taken with my precious Canon EOS 350D Digital. But I sometimes use a cybershot - I carry that round all the time but the Canon is a bit too big to do that.

Mary Plain said...

I am just getting so jealous of these amazing pictures Dr Joolz. My student ones are all so much less well framed and I wish I could do closeups. If I had not spent all my money on autumn clothes I would have to buy a better camera but I did so I can't. And I haven't got a good coat yet. All I can say is xakwpce.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.