Monday, July 11, 2005

I had a marvellous time

at the United Kingdom Literacy Association conference.
Most of it was held here in


sex house


Sex House.

Some people called it Wessex House. But I do feel they were being very conventional.

Should you have favourites?

I completely LOVED Mimi. (Yes we can call her that.)

AKA Mizuko Ito.


mimi

She talked about
Young people as fluent natives of the digital world


and her research which looks for

emergent practices in their culture


is so interesting because she looks at stuff which is
below the radar of the adult gaze.


I lurve those phrases.

So much of what she describes also is part of what goes on in online adult affinity spaces too, because she focuses on learning and literacy as a by-product of social engagement, and peer to peer local knowledge communities. And this of course is how I see Flickr.

I sqaw her speak last year at another fantastic conference and her paper from that is here.
The project she described at UKLA is outlined here.

It gave ME a lot to think about anyway.

DRJ

Hmmm.

4 comments:

Joolz said...

Kate took it .
Thank you Kate for mking me look less ugly thasn in real life.
This is called a FLATTERING shot.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Stalker's back. I have just looked up Marc Canter's blog and 'digital aggregation' having read some of the notes that I made during the digital literacies day (JSG's paper)- and am quite scared. Do I have to understand all this if I am to retain my new title of 'reviews editor'? or do I have to resign immediately.
ALSO does Marc wear make up? If so, it is very nicely applied - or the shot is also very flattering - although I think Kate's shot is a very good likeness - (of you, and not Marc) which isn't surprising as it is of you - so it IS and ISN'T flattering if you see what I mean.
Blame the heat!

Joolz said...

OMG hi!!!
Will check out Marc canter - Thanks I did not write him down.

Will check it out and put a link in tomorrow when I 'do' more of the conf.
I think that people who understand EVERYTHING are incorrigible and should not work on the wonderful new journal.
(Now Anya and ate will wonder what we mean but it is still a secret we have not written the proposal yet.)
Great to see you at UKLA

Anonymous said...

OMG no dial-up for 24 hours and I have almost died without access!!!!

DrJoolz you look absolutely stunning in that photograph!! I don't know what to envy the most - your gorgeous English rose complexion or that you went to such an exciting sounding conference!

I have never heard of Marc Canter - does that make me a bad person?

Also, I think I should be told the secret. Or at least any secret just so I can have one to share too :>

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.