Sunday, November 20, 2005

Writing on the wall

takes all kinds of guises; maybe road signs, advertising, maybe 'street art/ graffiti' or it maybe this kind of memorial:

Hero

Clearly the moral here is that Barmaids can lead you astray . On a similar morbid theme, we have this:

Po-Girl

and Richard gets remembered even on blogs now ... and a dangerous entanglement of weed was responsible for the loss of another poor (but heroic) chap:

Dangerous-Weed

These were found by Trois Tetes and displayed on Flickr; I have never seen memorial tiles like this before - displayed in Postman's Park London. These give the bare bones of the story but every reader must take from this a new nuance; think about a particular aspect of the story in a different way from others maybe.

Also on Flickr is this graffiti - nicely juxtaposed against a window display for ironic (iconic?) effect:

Secure?

And here am I, making a kind of visual narrative line, by placing myself to the right of this piece of street art.

Smile

Like the beginning and end of a sentence here; the art as the first part of the visual narrative; me as the end. I like this idea of using art in an interactive way, ever changing on the street.

Another way of interacting is to reply to text and/or images. One way is shown here ...

intricacies

which I used on an earlier post of mine.

But there is also this site, 'The Bubble Project' which brings street art and responses to the online space. One can download images of speech bubbles which can be filled with text and used to answer back to media messages seen in the world around us. Then the idea is to take a photo and upload it to the Bubble Project site, later they will be put in a BOOK. How many textual manipulations is that??

How many literacy events? What sort of practice?

Hmmm. Find out here .... Look inside the book.

Very exciting my hearties.

4 comments:

Rob Burton said...

Avast there

I noticed you signing off with a bit of Pirate speak, have you bin a practacin?

yo ho ho me hearties...

Kate said...

I like the coat you are wearing AND the bubble project.
Lots of stuff to see and do.
Good luck in Lancs!

Joolz said...

I have bin a practicin my matey and ahoy there to you!!
I'll be bearing off up to Lancaster with my rig a blowin and my main sheet in my hand.

Mary Plain said...

I love the memorial plaques- did you see Ian Hislop on street war memorials in Hull and stuff last night on Channel 4?

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.