Thursday, November 10, 2005

Models of Men Reading

So Rrrrromantico to see gondoliers really do dress like this and look like this.


gondolier-reading

There was a lovely light at 8 o' clock on Friday morning to take this shot. Gondoliers reading newspapers were a common sight as they waited for custom; I wonder if in Venetian classroom they put up posters of gondoliers reading in order to show the boys who to copy. (You know the kind of thing.)

One more observation ... they seem to keep a pretty tight control over who is allowed to be a gondolier ... dark hair, dark eyes - oh yes, and male.

I very greedily took over three hundred pictures while away so here are two more:

This one has a literacy theme:

bookish-birds


And this one does not:

oval-window

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I note a bit of sarcasm here? How could you be anything but perfectly tranquil and in love in such a gorgeous setting. YOU are in for another treat - and another toy. Check out this - templates for movies made on your mobile phone. The preview on this page is of a familiar place...but does is provoke a familiar feeling...
http://www.muvee.com/website/mv_mobile_buystyles.php

Kate said...

I am so happy to see Dr Joolz marvellous pictures of Venice up on her blog and it just goes to show what a visual person she is - more please.

Mary Plain said...

As usual these are lovely pictures, especialy the gondolier reading. (I looked at those posters you linked to, Dr Joolz - why are so many of them wearing headphones? do you think they are having the book read to them really?) Off to check out Bex's link now..

Anonymous said...

Pictures from Italy are a nice virtual vacation for me too. Love the literacy one!

Anonymous said...

Am pleased y'all liked the pix ...
I love the mobile phone videos Bex. Mine only takes stills so I have to wait till I can make a movie on my phone.
As for the headphones I think you must be right Mary Plain... they are not really reading

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.