Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Knit wits

I like the blogs which reflect other people's passions. To read their blogs is like being allowed to sift through their stuff. It is like peeping through the doorway of someone's houses when they have left it ajar. (I guess a lot of blog reading is like that.) But I suppose bloggers leave the door ajar on purpose.

Guy reminded us of Wendy's knitting blog. In one post she confides:

"Do you all go through these periods of knitting malaise? I usually don't, but the older I get, the crankier I get (if it is indeed possible for me to get crankier), and some of that crankiness rubs off on my knitting. Here I am -- mid-gusset!"
Her friendly way assumes her reader is a knitter and so I am an infiltrator - but her friendly comment to Guy after he cited her blog reassures me - I love the sense of humour in this too. (Gussett is a very funny word.)

I adore the stitch n bitch title here and Tricoteuses sans frontiers is a firm fave with me. Interesting how all that identity work is going on - the title of this one here 'And she knits too' making an interesting link back to the fact that the blogger has a PhD and other aspects to her identity - even though here the knitting is centralised. Similarly this one here Susan Knits (and crochets) has a neat combo of knitted life and non knitted life.

There is a knitting community with a speciallanguage and I guess you like similar clothes! There are all the special words you have to learn - like skein and yarn... And I don't even understand this bit:

"I was able to put together a whole afghan for Warm Up America, measuring 46" by 63" . I do believe I have a career in doing this. Add to that the 2 more lapghans I put together for the guild. Whew! "
from Susan's blog. Is this a special knitting literacy. I think so. Have you ever SEEN a knitting pattern? And you think HTML is hard!!


But look here at this blog where the teaching also goes on at a special knit in.

A lot of the knitting blogs talk about teaching others how to knit and the blogs themselves are forever performing that task.
Very interesting. It is such an old andtraditionalcraft but the people who love it clearly move with the times.

1 comment:

Joolz said...

My pleasure entirely Wendy!! And of course you are welcome here.
I knew you would agree about gusset!!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.