Thursday, November 17, 2005

Without a viewfinder

Isn't 'Viewfinder' an interesting word?

I think it is. It is a part of the camera that you look through and what you see through it, shows you how the image will appear when you 'take it'. But the name 'Viewfinder' reflects something about the history of photography; that we expect to take shots of 'views' and that they are out there in the real world waiting to be found.

I also think it is interesting that we talk of 'taking' photographs. It is as if we are keeping the thing that we have seen; which we are in one way. We transform what we see in to an artifact, and we take it away. (Even if it is digital and only seen on a screen, I still think it is an artifact.)

When taking a photo, it is as if we are materialising a memory. When I was in Venice I took a few photos of things I had considered buying; I decided not to buy them as I did not really want to own them. But I wanted to remember them. So I took photos. And that is a true story. (Of course we sometimes dramatically sling out photos if we want to forget a person or event.And this demonstrates the symboloic relationship between photographs and memory.)

A lovely find for me today was this. This is an online exhibition of photographs that have been found. Have a look.

Secondly, and just as good , look here. These are found letters. You will love them, I know.

there is something exotic about finding things that are personal to others; is that the fascination of blogs? The thing I mentioned earlier this week about peeping through doors is resonant here.

When we write in our blogs are we trying to materialsie experience?

(Originally today I WAS going to post about Scollon and Scollon's book 'Discourses in Place' which David Barton told me about in an e mail. But that will now have to wait till tomorrow. So don't forget to tune in for that provocative little number.)

But before I go ... wanna see something weird? Look at this:

Omnipotent-Handjob

5 comments:

*~*Michelle*~* said...

That's really wild...I like it!

Kate said...

Wow! Is it Venice?
it is wild.

Joolz said...

It's Bologna - I went there too. Forgot to tell you.

Kate said...

No wonder you were tired last week.

Mary Plain said...

I thought the pic was great but also found what you said about viewfinders v interesting. Had never stopped to think about the word before.. have been thinking about it ever since! thanks DrJoolz!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.