Monday, January 23, 2006

Why not

have a little play with these games?
then this
then this.
I think it is weird how much time you can spend on the net having fun andit is free.
Also interesting is the way in which the instructions are hard to find .... the assumption is that you will probably not read them but just experiment.
I love the way the games make so much use of the affordances of the web;
even the one that looks like little fridge magnets uses technology cleverly .
I wonder if games use the multimodal affordances and gizmos more than any other genre on the web....
The games I have linked to here are relatively static though compared to the shoot em ups, adventure games and so on which you could choose to get involved in .... free of charge too.
And there is really only one way of playing them.
Anya is playing Second Life at the moment and is having a whale of a time in a massive mutiplayer game environment.
There are so many mre choices she could make and so many more skills she could develop. In these huge 'cyber world' games there are all sorts of avenues you can take.
So many kids are on Second Life (adults too of course) and similar games like this. It is no wonder they can often get a bit fed up at school. They have so many sophisticated things to learn at home and get access to narrative they can control ... it is so cool.
The digital age is a cool age.

3 comments:

Guy Merchant said...

And I say to myself, what a wonderful web!

Joolz said...

ha ha yes. It is so funny that I go on about it being free That's a sign of my age I think!

Julia said...

not a sign of your age but perhaps a sign of the kind of money fuelled world we live in...not that I'm getting old and cynical or anything!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.