Monday, January 16, 2006

'Top-tips in Travel packs

I am Queen of the Mini Break
DrKate has declared her position on minimalism, but when it comes to carting bags about, maybe she'll agree with me? That minimalism is a good thing as far as travel is concerned.

I claim the right to offer advice on packing for the mini break as I am married to someone who is ADDICTED to dragging me off all over the place (whether I want to or not. - Luckily I do want to.) Over the years I have developed the art of travelling for a mini-break and pride myself on keeping the rule that if you take it, you HAVE to use it, or chuck it out. (Scary.)

I went away this weekend just down to London over two nights. I took a small bag with me as I hate to carry loads of luggage. I usually take the least I can get away with because:

  1. If you pack something and don't wear it, it will still need washing as it goes all nasty on the journey. (Don't know why).
  2. If you take too much it ALL gets creased; if you take a few things, they don't get as squashed.
  3. If you decide you really need something that you have not brought ... BUY A NEW ONE. (This is an excellent rationale).
  4. Even if you can fit everything in a bag, you may not be able to carry it all comfortably.
  5. I PLAN what I will wear each day and make sure that I can get away with wearing the same boots or shoes will everything.
    I make sure that everything you take matches everything else. (If you are colour blind, a heterosexual male, or a woman with no style, this rule is easy to skipover but is important.)
  6. I usually wear bulky, warm items - e.g. when I went down to London I wore boots, skirt, camisole, light cardigan, coat and large scarf - gloves in my pocket, hat. You can always unkit yourself on the train or plane.
  7. I usually wear a skirt to travel in as trousers get too uncomfortable after a few hours - and skirts are warmer I think. I take three camisole tops and two light cardigans (plus underwear etc. but underwear is far too personal to discuss.)
  8. I take plenty of accessories - a chic scarf is lighter than an extra layer of clothing and can still be as warm and worn in many ways. Too many jumpers are bulky to carry. Different jewellery can be worn each day, and this is very light to carry but can really MAKE the outfit.
  9. I sometimes might take an extra skirt too if it is of light material - such as silk or cotton.
  10. I do NOT take a bag with wheels - this would tempt me to break all the rules and I would have to carry the bag up steps (hard) and drag it over bumps. (One is allowed bags with wheels for trips of more than five days or if it is work related and laptops and/or papers and/or books are involved.) It is not cool to have partners carry bags for you; besides they need to save their energy.
  11. I take my Sony MP3 player, all charged up of course, my phone (fully charged), a camera and two lenses. Also one book - no hardbacks, a notebook and pen. A packet of mints. Buy water at the station or airport.

Obviously I am intending you use me as a role model. I strongly advise that you DO NOT use hotel shampoo, conditioner, or shower gel. It is vile beyond reason. Take your own in small bottles and certainly DO NOT take any of the horrible stuff back home as you will never use it. If you do use it, you need more help than I have time to give you.

The ONLY things worth snatching from your hotel room are the plastic shower caps, as you can use these while you are waiting for your hairdye to develop. This way you can walk round the house in that boring twenty minutes before you rinse. And it is also worth sniping cotton buds in little packets. Meaner establishments don't always give you these but they are very handy in your handbag and keep clean in the little packets.

Exhibits

The excellent toilet bag:

girls-stuff-swag

(This was in fact a gift from a lovely person.)

The contents of the swag bag:

girls-stuff

Please click on the image to see (in Flickr) further edifying notes.

I hope this has been helpful. If you need further advice please make requests in the comment box.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Kate said...

THis is SO HELPFUL.
It actually saves me a whole post I was going to do on getting ready to go to Sheffield which includes:
1. charging ipod
2 Charging mobile phone
3 Charging Lap top
4. charging digital camera
5. Checking have leads for all.
Then there is the packing. Your post answers everything.
SHould one take a spare skirt (I only wear skirts thank god) yes or no (you say possibly)there is always a possibility of an ACCIDENT.
Spare shoes (I think you say not but I might re-read the bit)
Obviously accessories are useful.
I have not go a wheelie bag but a pink zippy bag for this trip.
Go this is a LIFESAVER
Can I cut it out and pin it on my wall?

Scott said...

Can you talk to my wife? She won't listen to me, but she might listen to you ...

Joolz said...

Yes I will certainly be happy to give private and confidential advice.
Regarding shoes Kate, you need to keep a spare pair in your office. Preferably low - medium heeled court shoe that will go with anything. I recommend Hobbs as an excellent stockist.

Rob Burton said...

I fiind it dissapointing to find that skirts are more comfortable and warmer than trousers when travelling, as the one who has to wear the trousers it is unfair as I can not envisage me going through life as a cross dresser, kilts don't work for me either, any suggestions?

Joolz said...

I am so sorry about this DrRob and should have made it clearer that this was a very girlie centric post.
Can I recommend that you wear warm trousers from the outset. Do not be tempted by the ones which zip off at the knee and can then be magically transformed into shorts if you get too hot.(These are highly naff and can be disconcerting to onlookers who witness the unzipping.) Ones with an elasticated waist are of course totally out as is undoing your top button.

You must wear smart, thick jeans. They are best if they have lycra in them - but not so much that they shine. In the summer you may also take shorts. I suggest you do not buy these unsupervised; your wife needs to help you pick nes with a modest number of pockets. (You are not a boy scout.)

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.