Saturday, September 10, 2005

Counter-intuitive

Normally, knitted artifacts are cute.
I like a bit of subversion sometimes, they can make you challenge your assumptions ... although these may well be considered bad taste...

bad  taste

little accident


We tend to think that knitted artifacts are for kids to play with and that they should not evoke certain aspects of our world. The pieces here challenge that such artifacts are just for kids and obviously depict things not usually thought of as toys. Nevertheless of course, kids do include bad things happening in their play and lots of the stories we read to them reflect the darker side of our lives.

If you are really curious you will see more here. But I am not sure that the artist was thinking along the same lines as me.

Cheers to Bitch PhD for the tip off.

2 comments:

Rob Burton said...

Is this the sort of thing you like??

http://www.streetsy.com/

Joolz said...

Hey can't wait to see the word Chris thinks of ... but I agree it is that thing about the incompatibility of something in a particular context and I think this maybe the uncanny thing that VC talked about at UKLA not this year but in 2004 Manchester.
You are right you two.
And everyone is so clever as I do like the site DrRob shows; it reminds me of all the photos I took in Berlin earlier this year - seems light years ago now.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.