Sunday, November 07, 2004

Bloggers Block

The pressure of producing a blog means I cannot blog.
My ridiculous rushy around lifestyle means I cannot blog.
The fact that people say to me ' How can you have time to blog? I don't have time to blog'
have all led to me having bloggers block.
However I know that I am normal as Google gives 138,000 references to BLogger's block.
So I thought I would share my situation with fellow bloggers.


Looking at my favourite blogs, (this and this) I am excited but dismayed. What is a meme? (I know now, since I went here). But twas not in my dictionary. So the web wins.

By the way, Guy, your dead link to hip hop is alive again. And thanks so much for the reference to Marc Prensky's presentation. Fab. Michelle, I have ordered Gee's latest book thanks to you. (But no thanks to Amazon UK who have got the title wrong - check it out.) Rebekah Willett from the Centre for the Study of Children, Youth and Media says that all this blogging is a bit incestuous. I think it is. But incest is good. And now Rebekah you are in the clan with this link. Hope you don't mind. Rebekah's work on tweenies and new technologies is VERY good.

The incestuous thing is important - albeit that I tend to ususally call it Communities of Practice. It is good to have a place where you can be obsessive about your work, but not need to have well formed theories. It is good chat with like minded others. I thought all this would be just about me writing and thinking, but I am trying to put things out there as part of a whole melange of ideas to mix with other peoples that are New Literacy related somewhere somehow. It is not quite dialogue, but it is not private ruminations.


In one of my earlier entries I mentioned that my sister's partner goes to a gym where mobile phones are banned in case anyone uploads photos of people's non-public body parts. I wondered whether this has ever really happened as I have never seen or heard of it. Is this an urban legend? Has anyone seen anything like this?

Recently I heard of mobile phone related urban legend in Nigeria where calls from certain numbers apparently cause death . I hear that the culture there tends to readily accept stories that my culture tends not to. I know that when I once told a legend to a group of student teachers, the Nigerian student was terrified even after I told the group my tale was not true. (But then again, the OfSTED Inspector also present believed the story. - scroll down to point 19 where he mentions the session! Well inspectors are not very discerning are they?) But then when I look at stories like these it makes me think again. I am thinking of using this site in a future teaching session with student teachers.

That's all from me ...
(I managed quite a bit in the end.)

Am writing my chapter for Jackie and Elaine's book this week I hope. It is based on the ESRC seminar series on Children's Literacy and Popular Culture they managed at Sheffield.



4 comments:

Guy Merchant said...

I had it, too (http://myvedana.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_myvedana_archive.html). Now I'm cured. It's like a right of passage. Then you just can't help yourself anymore: that's when the innocent first taste turns into an addiction.

Joolz said...

I find myself looking all the time for stuff to blog.
Will my life become worthless unless I have blogged?

Colin and/or Michele said...

I sooo wish my blogger blocks were as prolific as yours, Julia!! And I agree with you that blog networks aren't incestous at all--Jim Gee has some really lovely things to say about affinity spaces in his latest book that really speak to the interconnectedness of blogs and bloggers. So I see you and Guy as very much a part of my blogging affinity space--we all share really similar interests in new literacies etc. etc. and you both blog very, very cool things that are always worth reading! And finally (this comment is getting way longer than most of my own blog posts!) I'm pretty sure there were court cases in Australia and the US last year on invasion of privacy issues to do with phonecams being used in dressing rooms. Off to see if Google has a record of any of it!

Joolz said...

Am grinning from ear to ear.
Just so excited to be part of your affinity space.
I really think the blogging is helping me write ... but whether this is true or not remains to be seen. ... Jackie and Elaine may hate my chapter! I think it is hdlping me as I am forming a view of an audienc - but it mayu not be the right one... ooh angst angst.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.