Thursday, March 23, 2006

What a painful day

Just like DrKate I have been struggling with work today.

I spent four and a half hours wading my way through one student's doctoral work (Chapter 3) and then when I sent it back with comments her inbox was full as usual so it just pinged straight back.

(But I thought of a solution; I have opened a new hotmail account and have sent her the address and password etc. She can go there and get everything I have sent her in the last three months!!
I thought this was a very clever thing to do. I wonder if it will work.)

But also, I thought I would be able to quickly review an article for Discourse, send a few e mails about other stuff and then get on with the REAL work of the day.

But I did not get to 'the real work' as everything takes so
LO-O-O-O-O-O-NG.


Mind you it was nice to hear from NESTA who want to quote from my conference paper on Flickr from last July. (Blimey. Can you imagine that? ) I liked that e mail.

And that's nice that they asked and they also sent me a draft of an excellent piece they are writing on Social Software and Learning. ('They' are Martin Owen, Lyndsay Grant and Keri Facer). It looks really good. Maybe they will become my new friends.

A piece of BIG NEWS is that one of my contacts from Flickr has got kicked out of Flickr. I am pretty gutted as I really liked him and his photos and had enjoyed a few e mails and comment exchanges with him on Flickr. He had also commented on my blog a few times. (But funnily enough I have seen a new account which includes pictures very like Zombizi's). Good game. Will he win?

Interesting. Just when you think it is the creative commons and that you are all playing your own game, you suddenly realise there is a panopticon. The all seeing Flickr police flicked the lights out on all his photos and stuff. Zombizi Gone .
Flickrites are up in ARMS.


Well. It's all good for the research.

(See this paper here on The Internet and the panopticon idea.)

And tomorrow is another day (when I will be interviewing the Director of this.)

6 comments:

Kate said...

Wow great news about Nesta
This all sounds v. good.
Did you read Banksy in the Guardian complaining about the clean up of Melbourne/Hackney?
good stuff.
I am sorry about your Flickr Friend.
Maybe he is like Banksy.
The hotmail idea is v.g.
I might do it with my similar student.

Joolz said...

Oh no did not see the banksy thing but will look. Thanks for telling. They should not clean up.
My student is really pleased with her hotmail account and OI am too as now I know I can check the e mails arrive as we both have access to the account. It is like a joint storage space.

litrate said...

Errr.... wait a minute. In his new profile he said he deleted it himself,when he was drunk, so don't blame flickr. remember FLICKR CAN DO NO WRONG.

Joolz said...

Hi Litrate yes you are so right ... ~I jumped the gun a bit there, believing what others said and before he put up his explanation ... oh dearie dearie.

Anonymous said...

I'm dead impressed that you worked panopticon into your blog. Thanks for that link - I'll have a closer look at the article soon. Someone sent me a link to this site www.beachwalks.tv, which was a really funky way to start the day - have a look!

Joolz said...

Ha ha yes panopticon on my blog!! Pretentious, moi? I will check out the seaside thanks, good idea.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.