Friday, February 17, 2006

The Inbetweenies

I like this picture because it is about people using their little bits of inbetweeny times in an inbetweeny space:

chillin'


That is to say, they are using this space, which is a kind of borderland, to grab time for themselves. They seem wrapped up, consumed.

I like the way some people have been there before them, and made their marks on the walls and affected the space. Their presence is there; but they are gone.

I like the way that man is coming down the steps - also in transitition.


The photo got slagged off a bit here for not having a proper focus; this is perhaps something interesting about the way we look at not just photographs, but everything. We are always required to have a focus or 'main subject'.

The perfect sentence is suposed, according to my infant school teacher, to conatin a complete idea.
Which is interesting.
And confusing.

Anyway, I like the way these people have chosen to just suddenly stop. To stop moving and just do what they want to do. To take a moment in their lives, irrespective of the busy road above them and the canal (unseen) in front. They are mid transition; between the boundaries; liminal. But in a way I see them as subversive as they are turning the space into a new space and saying that it is NOT just scrap land, they will not ignore it, they will transform it.

I see them as quite powerful and resilient.

.

7 comments:

Joolz said...

yeah think you are completely right. She needs to consider her cholesterol levels.

JP said...

I like the photo (focus or not). You take good photos - what camera do you use?

Joolz said...

Cheers JP. It's a Canon 350D. But I use a variety of lenses.

Kate said...

OMGod am in shock Dr Joolz you will not believed this but my current post was done BEFORE I read this.
We are spookily thinking THE SAME THINGS.
Will rush and amend my blog post as you are obviously first to think these v. profound thoughts.

Joolz said...

so weird huh?

JP said...

Am so tempted by the 350D.... even more than broadband for dorset!

Joolz said...

You actualy do need both - so that when you upload the fab pictures you have enough bandwidth for all them there pixels ... seriously I really recommend the canon. (If you look at press conferences, most press photographers have Canons...)

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.