Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Visuals; ways of seeing; globalism

Apparently the word 'theory' comes from a Greek word, 'teorin' meaning to see.
So maybe 'Visual Culture can be regarded as a way of thinking, an intellectual discipline ...' say Schirato and Webb.

I am interested in contemporary visual culture in terms of production, spectatorship, interaction. What role does it play in gloalisation? What are the effects of technology and the consequent democratisation of production?
More importantly .....
Why does someone want to change their house into a Christmas artifact? How do different people read it? ( See blog entry yesterday)
(I had to carefully frame out the big yellow van parked in front of the house yesterday in oreder to take my photo.)
What different reading would you have had with the van in the frame?
Why did I frame it out?
What is the effect of putting that photo on my blog less than five minutes after I took the photo?
(I felt a thrill. The house became a digital image in my camera. It became a viusal joke to share in a new affinity space, away from my 'neighbourhood'.)

'We are experiencing an overwhelming globalization of economic and cultural exchanges. The speed of information movement, in what has become for many our global village, means that every human action or event involves others in the consequence of these actions and events. According to Hannerz (1996), 'Globalization is a matter of increasing long-distance interconnectedness'
(Art Education and Visual Culture in the Age of Globalization, Kevin Tavin, Jerome Hausman, in Art Education:Sep 2004. Vol. 57, Iss. 5, p. 47-52)(sorry you need an ATHENS password to see this link.)

Do we become more intimately connected because of the new affordances available to us?
Do we start to understand other perspectives through this facility, this possibility of sharing our views with others?

Globalisation might not just be about homogenisation as some fear.

It might be about seeing other people's realities - even if we do not want to live them. Hmmm.
I will leave that one with you.

1 comment:

Joolz said...

Fascinating tuff. Are you going to talk about FUSION in your introduction?

I am really lookig forwad to seeing the book. That will be two done this year now!!!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.