Sunday, December 19, 2004

Chill out for Christmas

Some people are reacting very badly about other people's enthusiasm for Christmas and even sending
hatemail.
I would be upset if I received this kind of response after decorating my house. Especially if it looked as good as this.

Self conscious displays like this are very interesting I think; a lot of us spend time making our homes look like a backdrop or stage set of some sort. Presumably trying to influence how we want people to read us through our environment. LIfestyle seems to be behind only some of the choices we make; other choices are about showing, expressing things we want people to see. (Diane Arbus was great at showing us both the stage set of people's homes and beyond ...You need to check out the pix of people in their homes...)


I wonder what these Christmas houses are saying and I wonder why so many people do it. Some people go for a 'tasteful' look, while others are into the full Blackpool illuminations thing.


And finally ....
if you wnt it to be a white chistmas, why not start doing your snow dance now?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.