Saturday, December 18, 2004

I believe I have apophenia

I keep seeing links between everything I read and see.
Maybe the link is my brain.
Or, maybe, just maybe .....

there is a link between everything and everything and apophenia is a superfluous term.

Think about it.


I saw Tracey Emin on tv last night and I love her.
Often referred to as


Mad Tracey from Margate

A few years ago she got very pisst before going on tv and then stalked out of the studio again saying she would prefer to talk to her Mum.

I love a lot of her work; she asks us to Look Again at everyday things. This is something I think ethnographic research is about. Whilst I am not well up on debates about Art,I am interested in looking at spaces and how we inhabit them. I think Tracey, like me, is interested in space and artefacts. She also uses aspects of her life in her work.

I am interested in understanding what cyberspace is and also at how technology is impacting on sense meatspace and our use of meatspace. I am interested in how the use of digital photography asks us to look again. I am interested in understanding how this Look Again mentality might affect our relationship with the world. Through visual blogs, through digital images everywhere we are increasingly looking close up at everyday items and somehow seeing something new in them; something exotic; or maybe we consider at length artefacts which we are given to examine in new locations. Thus, with Tracey, Tracey's bedroom in an art gallery is something we can examine out of sync, and think about, whether we want to or not. and on our blogs ... well, look at this food blog.
Visual literacy is developing with the new things that are possible.

Emin's work resonates with all of this stuff - in pryicular the idea of the ethnographic 'making the familiar seem strange'; and Theory.org have come up with this on her.

And the fact that I have now found an put up an
art space
by newmediastudies.com and theory .org. definitely proves that if I have have apophenia, so have lots of people.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.