Monday, December 06, 2004

OMG!!!!!!! My blog is on my blog!!!!!!

.....Talk about SELF REFERENTIAL ......

blog on my blog

And how uncanny!!

Do you think it is obsessive to blog your blog???

How my Sony laptop got even better
I spent Saturday wandering round my local shops (and beyond) looking for a lead which would connect my divine new Sony Vaio to a data projector lead. I felt very foolish and despondent on not managing to find one. Had I bought this Vaio to no avail? (My purpose was to make conferences a lightweight affair). Was I a half wit of the tallest order?? Would all my friends laugh at me?
No. The answer is no.

when I got home, guess what???
I realised that the cute little connector thingy (shown below with its mouse friend, to give you a sense of scale) was to connect parallel ports into. Thank God.

mouse and connector

What a waste of a Saturday afternoon. But somehow, I felt content.

Just me and my Vaio.

BUT. The joy of design is OK really.
We see it as shallow if we own the thing we adore. Especially if it s new.
Compare this:
roman staircase




This was in Rome ..... adored and admired by the well informed, it seems.
Design is more respectable when it is old. It becomes 'the real thing', 'authentic' this or that. (ha! Even seventies stuff is glorified with the word 'retro').

But back to the columns and the spiral staircase... Why do we love symmetry so much? We love this idea of balance I think, even in language, such as shown through rhyme. It seems neat, slick, tidy, satisfying.

And finally .... an appearance from Gulliver. This is my daughter's adopted bear who goes on holiday with anyone who goes anywhere. (Of course, this is Rome).He is soon to have his own website and will then be sent out to young people with ME for them to take his photo in their home or on their holiday .... The bear will travel where young people with ME cannot . I'll give you the url when we have one ....

Gulliver2


No comments:

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.