Sunday, October 31, 2004

Techo trickery

Mobile phones and photos

Guy's blog gives us a link to help us in our mobile photography ettiquette (netiquette?) but here is a site which deliciously breaches all the rules - treating us to celebrity morsels stuffing their faces.. What else could a mobile phone be for, other than capturing scrumptious pix like these? (I could work for The Mirror). Techo trickery allows us to impinge on people's lives ... my sister's partner told me mobiles are banned from his gym because of unsuspecting nudes appearing on the web.)

A heart breaking story about i pods
I know that loads of people love their i pods; I too was in a state of euphoria with mine for about 72 hours. And the potential for un broken i pods is definitely there as Michelle says.
But see what happened in my ipod drama. There was the excitement that my partner brought it as a gift from his travels to San Francisco. The lovely white smooth case. I crammed its hard drive with my CDs and music bought from the i-store as quickly as I could. I listened to it as I walked to and from work on the day after I got it. (Oh if only the walk had been longer.)

But then when I took it to the gym it broke. I pressed the button to turn it off and CRACK. The screen miraculously shattered.

The tragedy continued as phone calls to San Francisco were made; I sent it back to Apple for repair. It was sent back broken. I phoned them. I was invited to send it back again. I was promised it would be fixed. The man was kind and told me that all would be well. (we are talking about eight phone calls, four e mails and four mornings spent at home awainting deliveries.)

But.

They again returned it broken saying I had vandalised it.

My heart and my i pod were broken.

Despite reports of my vandalism I notice that the i pod has been redesigned with controls further from the screen, situated on its little wheel.

And now I have the Sony hard disc walkman which has better sound, is easy to operate and compared to apple’s ‘big white fridge’ is neat and sweet. A happy end.

My i pod lies broken in the cold dark cellar of my home. ( And of my heart. )

My daughter has advised me that, 'there are people out there who are just into making money' . She could be right.

The Moral to the two tales of techo trickery
It is up to us to be ethical with our hardware and our software. And just because someone can come up with a great idea for technological advance - it does not mean they have our well being in their minds.





3 comments:

Guy Merchant said...

The Sony Hard Disk Walkman doesn't look that special - but hey if it sounds good I'm persuaded.

Joolz said...

Yeah the sound is great.
And have you seen one in 'real life'?
Sorry to harp on, but the pictures I have sen don't do it justice. Although my i pod carrying son says the sony looks 'retro'.
But he likes Led Zep and cannot be trusted.

Joolz said...

Oh dear.
Hate to disagree but I talked of design.
I did used to love my neat, smooth i pod. I wanted one for ages. But I now see it as a big white fridge - which I did mention.
Will we fall out over this?

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.