Monday, April 03, 2006

Domesticity on Flickr

mixed-leaves-and-pumpkin-seeds

I am going to write something for a journal about representations of domesticity and the everyday on Flickr - which will feed into a paper I hope to present at a conference next January.

The abstract I sent off is this:



‘Slicing with Vinegar’: Online Enactments of the Domestic

Prior to the invention of digital cameras, amateur photographs depicting aspects of domestic life were always material artefacts traditionally reserved for restricted viewing within the confines of the home. Photographs representing ‘family life’ have been the most common type shown within the home, reflecting, highlighting, even shaping aspects of the lives from which they are drawn – often accumulating narratives of family identity within that domain (Hirsch, 2002; Kuhn, 1995).
Drawing on a study of a photosharing website (Flickr.com), this paper explores ways in which domestic life is represented and talked about through online screen based images, where traditional boundaries between the public and private spheres are being extended, challenged or eroded. The paper reflects on the presentation and subject of the images; the narratives around them, and at how new digital tools and practices are impacting on the ways in which we see and represent ourselves within the domestic setting. Third space theory (Soja, 1996) is invoked to explore aspects of the global/local practices on Flickr, and to reflect on the processes of online social learning, with particular reference to the domestic.

So that is what I want to present about for the conference but I want to write a fuller paper for a journal. Here are a few examples of the kind of thing I am interested in:

  1. Every day aspects of life dignified, or made arty here. This is a kind of home as museum approach. Cultural studies stuff. This is in fact from 'The New Domesticity group' which describes itself like this:
    Domestic life has changed drastically in the past 50 years. What does your domestic life look like? Sewing, cooking, houseplants, crafts, aprons, I'd love to see photos of anything that fits into your domestic life. My hope is
    to showcase a younger generation\'s style and shape of domesticity.
  2. Another example of life as art is here and I notice that this photo is also in the set up shots/not quite a still life pool as well as the 'everyday life pool'. I love this kind of example which asks people to share in their life, with a descriptions saying, 'this is not about the photography but the content (apple pie).
  3. In the kitchen allows people to show off their cooking a bit or again there is a kind of museum/cultural studies approach. And I love this which is also in the 'experimental' group. By looking at the cross sections of groups that people put their photos in, you get an idea of the intention behind the photo. Similarly the group: 'Domesticity: artful photos from around the house' concentrates on things looking good. Very self conscious presentations of identity in the images like this washing up one. or the pegs.
  4. And here is a really interesting glimpse into habitual ways of living and cooking (with a bowl resting on a cheese grater.) Note the sets this photo is in - it is in one to do wth 'family' and one to do with travel. Here the associations run through strongly with family, holiday and food. I feel like this one is a bit less like a 'good house keepings' photo.
  5. I love this one which gives me ideas of what to get for dinner. Here is a delicious meal. A million genre of cookbook and magazine can be seen here.
  6. An insight into life alone from the apartment life group. There's a whole load of stuff to do with food issues again resonating here.
  7. Hapakorean has been a contact of mine for a long ,long time and I saw the toddler in this photo from ultrasound shots even before he was born. HK documents the lives of her kids in detail and has just started enjoying vimeo. Here she has a movie of her son feeding his grandma 'numnums.' Just an episode of a few minutes showing the great American dream; the ideal family here with beautiful children and home. In addition I have traced through the story of how HK met her sister for the first time through Myspace. A lot revealed in these lives here through Flickr and HK has quite a following. Completely fascinating all this stuff as life moves seemlessly through the wrinkled binaries of life online and offline. (HK went to a Flickr meet a short while ago. )
  8. Of course festivals like Christmas, weddings and Mother's day are all excellent areas for me to look at in terms of representations of the domestic. So far a quick glimpse shws me they display things carefully. Apart from this exceptional photo of a 'divorced grandparents' domestic'.
  9. And so is 'what's in my cupboard?' , 'what's in your bag?' , 'inside your drawers', 'deskspace', fridge and so on.
  10. I want of course to also look at representations of family other than the type HK has shown - which are really quite traditional despite the new medium. I find this a brave image - showing a choild looking pretty uncared for - but I am sure this is not so, it is just the presentation has not been 'cleaned up.'
  11. I love the groups which try to emulate particular photographers. So this photo of a Dad and uncle (twin brothers) is in the Diane Arbus group. So the display is mediated through what is known about a photographer.
  12. This one is presented like a social history display in a museum again, using artefcats of identity to represent something of character and time.
  13. And also I want to look at the comments people are making, since this is often at least as revealing as the photo and more stuff is shown of the domestic through the comments quite often.

Lots of data huh? Whoever said that blogs were a waste of time?? I am finding a structure for this paper I think. And some questions.

I am wondering as I am looking at these photos whether the images themselves break down any boundaries? Are they pretty stereotypical of other photos we see in magazines? Family photos? Are we presenting family and domestic life in new ways? Or are the photos the same as they ever were? (Just more of them?) ... while the nature of Flickr is allowing new conversations and new insights into our lives? Hmm those are things I will think about. Maybe it is the community and the talk around the photos that are bringing in the new?

Shall I submit this article to Visual Communication or somewhere else?



7 comments:

Kate said...

I think there is a very interesting point here about the continuities between use of photographs and video (photographs as family snaps and normative in only certain ways) and what is produced, and discontinuties, that is going outside yourself and engaging in new practices,
in family life.
For example, photographing oneself making cakes seemed odd until everyone started to do it.
When do people become home ethnographers, taking images to document their family life themselves rather than ethnographers do it for them?
In Barnsley, people hadn't thought of taking close shots of the ground, but now, they do.
These transformations are very interesting to track, and why your paper is so so interesting.
I want to do something on digital stuff for the musuems project as I don't think enough attention is paid to digital stuff as home artefact.
When do you put your ipod in a glass cabinet?
(Mine is already in one ha).
THis is brill Dr Joolz.

Anonymous said...

get a proper job!

Guy Merchant said...

Wow! Really interesting stuff, this. I wonder if it's possible to read these photoshare images against/alongside the discourses of domesticity in popular media...TV cookery and magazine photography?

Joolz said...

@ Guy, yes I think so. I was thinking of going back to one of my fave books ever Judith Williamson's 'decoding advertisements' as so many of the ads she cites arwe of the genres I see here.
I think that people are presenting themselves as if part of those lifestyle mags etc and they are also showing very traditional family shots. It is only out of domestic situtations that most people are showing alternatives from this. Exceptions are founfd in groups like 'thrift' or are found NOT in groups but scattered through photostreams.
@ kate I think that is a really good point about people becoming home ethnographers. Thanks for that too.

Thanks to both for really good help on this.
Can either of you bear to advise me on what journal? Is it OK for Vis comm or not?

Kate said...

My considered opinion is Visual Communication first choice and otherwise Social Semiotics as I have a MOLE on the editorial board who I know.
That is SO WIERD about that book, as Decoding Advertisements was on my bookshelf when I was first in London in the 1980s and wore plastic shoes because I was a vegetarian and even went to Greenham.....

Guy Merchant said...

Well I'll eat my shoes!

Joolz said...

You both have made me laugh ... thank you! I used to borrow the book all the time from the library in the 1980s - in fact before I found Kress's work I sued to always refere to Williamson regarding deconstruction of visual texts.
I think the plasti8c shoes were a mstake and am glad you are over that. Even though I am a veggie. But I am a non animal loving veggie. (I don't eat animals as I don't like them and do not wish to ingest them and have them become a part of me. But I do not mind putting my feel in their dead skin?? Hmm I need to think again. )

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Sheffield, South Yorks, United Kingdom
I am an academic interested in New Literacies, Digital Lifestyles, Informal Online Learning.